Board Governance Workshops & Consulting Services For Private Schools
Private School and Non Profit Board Governance Development is Critical to Your Organization's Success
Are you looking for a Workshop that will Improve the Governance of your Private School or Non-Profit's Board Performance?
If you're finding it difficult, you are not alone. During the past 15 years, we've worked with a number of independent schools...PreK-12 University Preparatory, Special Needs, Single Gender, Co-Ed, International, Boarding, and ESL. They're all trying to use a Board Governance model that focuses trustees on the critical elements of exceptional boards, but they aren't firing on all cylinders.
The Solution is HEG's Board Performance Workshop and Online Survey
If your board isn’t performing as effectively as you want, or you want to make it even better, you’re not alone. Maybe, like others, you simply need to convey to your board the right approach to effectively lead and focus their resources. Our helpful workshop will uncover new ways to support your trustees to become lead more effective and help your school to become better as an academic and operational institution.
As the Chair, Trustee, or Senior Administrator of a Private School,
does your board experience any of the following:
- Trustee behavior that is unproductive and not aligned with your mission;
- Board agenda that is controlled by crisis rather than a clear vision;
- Board committees that exist only because they have always been there, not because they’re needed;
- No link between budget, tuition setting, or a long-term plan;
- Blurring of boundaries and channels between the roles of the Board and Administration;
- Unsure of how to move your Board and school to the next level;
- Board commitment greater than you would like it to be and has become too taxing and stressful; Inability to attract and keep good trustees.
If one or more (maybe all) of these issues applies to you, and you recognize that you deserve to work with an effective, positive board of governors, and you would like to do something about it, then you should consider our popular workshop and online evaluation survey.
Our Board workshop is designed to help your trustees better understand their function, roles, and responsibilities, as well as to determine their annual goals within the schools strategic plan. In essence, our workshop helps you to become a more mission-focused board
We realize that each school or non-profit is unique. As a result, we've customized the approach of our board governance workshop to address your boards' needs. Whether it’s part of your annual board retreat, or part of a revitalization process to reinvigorate your trustees, our workshop will help to improve your individual and overall governance performance. We can also make it part of a more detailed board self-evaluation process, where you can identify areas of board performance that needs improvement.
Our popular workshop will help your board to better understand the standards for effective board practice and re-inspire them to move to the next level of effective board governance.
Do You Have An Effective Board?
You know it and you can see it -- exceptional boards stand out. But what makes these boards tick? What’s their secret? They seem to have a reputation for rising to another level; retaining and attracting strong leaders; a waiting list for membership; results through an engaging vision; and exceeding their fundraising campaigns. But what do they have in common? Exceptional boards go beyond just the basics of governance -- they add lasting value to their school and mission. Don’t feel lost though; Exceptional boards have a common set of attributes that clearly separates them from other boards, and these can be addressed in our workshop. Does Your Board Have the Following Attributes:
- Mission Focused
- Focused on Results
- Follow Best Practices
How did you score? How many of the attributes did your board of governors have? Did you score 12 out of 12? You may not be expected to have all of these in play right now, but you need to focus on having a system in place that will elevate you to the next stage. Exceptional boards go beyond the basics of governance. Exceptional board governance is a balance between roles – an oversight body with fiduciary responsibility to detect and prevent problems, and create lasting value to the school and its vision. These attributes clearly separate Exceptional boards from the ordinary.
Main Components Of Our Board Performance Workshop
- You’re provided use of a confidential Online Board Self-Assessment Survey for each board member to complete that analyzes critical governance issues (It can also be expanded to other staff)
- An in-depth analysis of the survey-questionnaire in a detailed report to each trustee to identify the strengths, weakness, opportunities, and threats to the boards’ performance and the school
- A workshop where the issues that arise from the questionnaire and interviews are analyzed and resolved
- Participation in relevant case studies that review Best Board Practices
- Facilitated workshop that assists the board in developing an action plan to close the performance gap
- A report that summarizes the survey results and your action plan to improved board performance
- A written summary of the board’s key issues and the resulting action plans
Our Customized Board Performance Workshop and Survey create a huge Bull’s Eye to focus Improvement in your Board’s Performance. We will…
- Assess and fine tune your board’s performance by identifying the critical issues hindering performance
- Receive an exhaustive 360° online Board Performance Self-Assessment Survey based on years of research that assesses your board’s performance vs. established pillars of exceptional boards
- Acquire a profile of your board’s performance based on candid, confidential responses to the survey, which in turn provide guidance in fine-tuning the board’s role and performance
- Receive rapid distribution of your online survey questions and results…this will help your board function better and contribute to your organization’s improved performance and its mission
- Receive a “Summative Board Performance Report,” providing a comprehensive overview of the board’s survey results and plan of action in your school
- Allow board members to candidly discuss and reach consensus on important issues surrounding governance and lay the groundwork for improvement in board performance
- Participate in relevant case scenarios and exercises that highlight best board practices
- Identify critical issues before they become a crisis and establish a positive school environment
- Develop and energize your Board — ensuring a common vision, utilizing talent, and stability
If you are interested in our private school governance consulting services and would like to receive written material about HEG, or would like to discuss your particular needs, please contact HEG directly to find out more about our services. You can set this up by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling directly at +1-800-687-1492. We invite you to continue browsing our web site.